Firefighter collapses, 3 workers killed in chemical fume leak
A firefighter who tried to rescue three road workers trapped underground remains in the hospital in Miami.
The three men worked for a construction company working in Monroe County. They were in an underground drainage pipe Monday morning when they collapsed.
Volunteer firefighter Leonardo Moreno attempted to rescue them but he also collapsed. Three other Monroe County deputies who were exposed to the fumes were also taken to the hospital for treatment.
Moreno and two workers were brought up, but the two workers were pronounced dead at the scene. Emergency crews performed CPR on Moreno who was later airlifted to the hospital. No update was given on his condition.
The third worker’s body was recovered Tuesday afternoon.
The three men were identified as 34-year-old Elway Gray of Fort Lauderdale, 49-year-old Louis O’Keefe of Little Torch Key and 24-year-old Robert Wilson of Summerland Key.
Tests run by the Miami-Dade County Hazmat team revealed both Methane gas and Hydrogen Sulfide gas coupled with low levels of oxygen in the pipe.
Monroe County Major Crime detectives are investigating as well as OSHA into the circumstances of the workers deaths.